Have you ever tried purple sweet potatoes? They’re not only delicious, but also packed with nutrients that can do wonders for your health. They contain antioxidants, which are good for your digestion, cognitive function, heart and liver and they’re also great for people with diabetes.
Purple sweet potatoes get their color from anthocyanins, compounds that have really powerful antioxidants and anti-inflammation properties. Purple sweet potatoes are from the same family as sweet potatoes. The difference between these 2 types is that purple sweet potatoes are packed with antioxidants. Although sweet potatoes are considered a healthy food, purple sweet potatoes are even healthier. They contain 2.5 times more antioxidants than ordinary sweet potatoes.
Health Benefits From Purple Sweet Potato
1. Purple sweet potato can boost your cognitive function
Purple sweet potato has a positive effect on your brain activity. The anthocyanins found in purple sweet potatoes can reduce inflammation that affects cognitive performance. Consuming this product can enhance your memory function and have a positive effect on your brain.
2. Purple sweet potato can help you lower blood pressure
Start including purple sweet potato in your diet if you suffer from hypertension. Purple sweet potato has a high anthocyanin content that can lower hypertension. The antioxidants found in purple sweet potatoes can lower your blood pressure
3. Purple sweet potato can improve your digestion
Purple sweet potatoes contain a lot of nutritive that can improve your gut’s microbiota. This type of potato has prebiotic qualities which are great for maintaining healthy gut bacteria. Purple sweet potatoes are also great for people that suffer from acute or chronic digestive conditions.
4. Purple sweet potato can improve liver health
Purple sweet potato contains compounds that have a positive effect on the liver and prevent liver injuries. The anthocyanins found in purple sweet potatoes can improve the symptoms of liver fibrosis, reduce tissue scaring on the liver and lower liver inflammation.
5. Purple sweet potato can slow down the aging process
Since it contains powerful antioxidants, purple sweet potato can delay aging. The antioxidants kill off the free radicals in the body, lower blood glucose and prevent tumors.
6. Purple sweet potato is great for people with diabetes
Purple sweet potatoes contain flavonoids that can lower blood glucose levels, which makes them great for people with diabetes.
7. Purple sweet potato has anticancer properties
Purple sweet potatoes are packed with antioxidants, compounds that can prevent the development of cancer. The anthocyanins can prevent colorectal cancer by killing off malignant cells and prevent cancer cells mutation.
Purple Sweet Potato Recipes
Baked Purple Sweet Potatoes
- Wash and dry the potatoes without removing the skin. Make slits in the potatoes, leaving ¼ inch at the base. Place them on a baking sheet and brush them with extra virgin olive oil. Season and place them in the oven. Bake at 400 °F for 35-40 minutes. Serve with salad or quinoa.
Purple Sweet Potato Soup
- On medium heat, fry 1 chopped onion and 3 crushed garlic cloves. Cook until softened. Add 4 medium chopped purple sweet potatoes and 4 cups chicken broth. Season to taste. Cook until everything softens. Add the soup in a blender and blend until smooth. Add more broth to get the consistency you want.