Broccoli is one of the healthiest vegetables and it is considered to be good for preventing cancer. It contains high concentrations of sulforaphane, which is a compound with anti-cancer properties.
People who have a high risk of colon or prostate cancer, should increase their dietary consumption of broccoli. But remember, it is very important how you prepare the broccoli. Boiling or microwaving broccoli can destroy myrosinase (enzyme), inhibit the reaction and reduce broccoli’s health value which results in decreased production of sulforaphane. The point of all of this is retain all the enzymes and nutrients from broccoli that provide all the healthy properties even after it is cooked.
Creamy Broccoli Soup Recipe
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 2 medium stalks celery (finely chopped)
- 2 medium potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 4 cups fresh broccoli with stems, set aside florets after steaming
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup feta cheese (optional)
Add the oil in a large pot and turn on medium heat, then sauté celery and onion for four minutes, until they get softer. Then, add the potatoes and broccoli stems and then again sauté for 2 more minutes. Add chicken broth and almond milk, bring to a boil. At the end add some salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for approximately twenty minutes.