The spring and summer have passed, and we now find ourselves in the midst of autumn. And with the season brings many changes; colder weather and varying shades of leaves among them. Many people find this type of weather attracting, and I’m one of them. But to truly enjoy the wondrous and chilly atmosphere of the season, you want to make sure you’re dressed for such.
Now you have no shortage of options to choose from when it comes to attire. Apparel for the season has been around for generations upon generations, in many different shapes and many different forms. You have plenty of material to pick from as well, the likes of velvet or silk or even cotton being chief among them. But there is one material that stands out from the rest, one who’s adaptability is only eclipsed by its popularity. I speak of course, about fleece.
Fleece is becoming a popular term name when used in the fashion context. It is a popular material known for its structure, composition, and function; all of which serve to help the wearer. But you may not be convinced, you may be asking yourself, what’s so great about fleece? Well to remedy that, the purpose of this article will be to inform you about the design, capabilities, and benefits of having fleece-made clothing.
What is Fleece?
The word ‘fleece’ has been around for sometime, with references to Greek mythology which goes back as far as BCE, but the fleece that I speak of was actually invented more recently, in the late 20th century. Fleece is a fabric that was first created in the late 1970s by one Aaron Feuerstein, and thanks to him and some production provided by Malden Mills and Patagonia, helped to create the material into the popular product it is today.
To get into further specifics, fleece is a fabric made from synthetic materials such as the likes of polyester, as it is not naturally made. When made, it contains a thick amount of fuzz that traps any air that passes through close to the body, which makes it a great insulator. It is also a viable catalyst for moisture-wicking, a process that helps to keep the body dry.
More information on fleece can be found here: https://www.treehugger.com/what-is-fleece-is-it-sustainable-5192070
What is Fleece Used For?
Fleece holds a variety of different applications when in use. The most common form, however, comes in clothing. Due to its composition and structure, fleece is a great insulator, which makes it more ideal for colder weather and clothing. It also is more breathable than most fabrics, which in turn makes it more comfortable to wear.
Types of Fleece
The designs of fleece products are numerous and expansive, as there is no shortage of them to be had. Some of these types include:
- Micro Fleece- the lightest form of fleece fabric. This in turn makes it the most breathable out of the others, though it does lose more of its insulating capabilities. It is generally used in the composition of towels and shirts.
- French Terry Fleece- is mid-light weight in terms of fabric composition and design. It’s popular for its use in loungewear such as pajamas or sweats.
- Coral Fleece- also known as raschel fleece. It is more fluffier and softer than most other types of fleece, and is very popular in use for blankets or clothing.
- Polar Fleece- is a light and durable fabric. It is used for colder climates as it provides great insulation capabilities and is a great agent for moisture-wicking.
Advantages of Fleece
- Durable- fleece isn’t prone to fray, pill, or tear easily. It is made to be durable.
- Lightweight- it is very light, weighing little at all while providing great comfort and warmth.
- Warmth- on the subject of warmth, there are fewer fabrics that provide warmth like fleece does. Just like wool, it is an insulator, and serves to trap air inside which in turn provides warmth and comfortability to the wearer in even the coldest climates.
- Water-proof- fleece is more resistant to water than other regular fabrics, and even when wet it serves to dry quickly thanks to the properties of moisture-wicking (click here for more information)
Where to Buy?
Any major retail store the likes of Macy’s or JCPenny has fleece products for sale. Failing that, you can also look for fleece clothing on sites that have some of the best fleece clothing available on the market. Whether driving to the nearest shopping center or searching the web, fleece clothing is available instantly.
The colder seasons are here to stay, at least for the next five or six months. And whether you enjoy it or not, you want to have clothing that’s best suited for the weather. Fleece clothing is what’s needed, and your body will thank you for it.