When I began the ketogenic diet, the first thing that came to my mind was: What can I drink?! Sure, water is life, but a girl’s got to have fun and have the time of her life with friends when out! That’s when I began doing my research and checking out ketogenic drinks I can have that won’t destroy the fat-burning process. Fortunately, there are a ton, and it isn’t just limited to alcohol!
Wondering what you can drink when on a low-carb diet? Read on as I show you some refreshing and fun beverages you’ll love!
Ketogenic Drinks: Alcoholic Beverages
I would recommend that you go for hard and clear liquors with around 40% alcohol. These are a safe bet, considered as “keto alcohol.” Here are what you can drink (in moderation):
Avoid flavored liquor filled with sugary syrups and other chemicals at all cost. This is usually Triplesec, margarita mixers, or other cocktails.
If you are a beer person, then I suggest that you go for light beers, also drunk in moderation as they do contain a lot of carbs. Beers like Bud Select 55 or Amstel Light are low-carb and won’t break your ketosis. Remember to search up on the macros of your beer before consuming!
As for wine, I would recommend that you stick with Pinot Noir, Merlot, or Cabernet Sauvignon. For people who prefer white wine, go for Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, or Pinot Grigio.
Other Low-Carb Drinks To Try Out!
Besides alcoholic drinks, you can still have fun while you are in ketosis. There are a ton of refreshing smoothies and juices you can make, which aren’t only quenching but healthy!
While diet drinks are considered as safe, I still would not recommend that you take them every day, as they have non-calorific sweeteners which can mess up your state of ketosis.
If you want a refreshing drink, then here are some of my favorite recipes you have to try out:
Iced Mint Tea
- Three tea bags of our choice
- Eight ounces of peppermint
- Six cups of tap water
- One teaspoon of low-calorie sweetener
- Place the tea bags and mint in a teapot and pour in the water. Allow the tea to steep in the water for about half an hour.
- Strain the tea and place the water in a pitcher. Add four cups of cold water and mix it well, adding the sweetener.
- 14 ounces of coconut milk
- Half a cup of fresh blueberries
- One tablespoon of lemon juice
- Half a teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Place all the ingredients in a blender, mixing it until it becomes smooth. I recommend that you use canned coconut milk for a creamier smoothie.
- Taste test and add lemon juice until you have the desired flavor.
Quick Tip: You can add a tablespoon of coconut oil to make the smoothie more feeling. For those who are going dairy-free, replace the coconut milk with 1 1/4 cups of Greek yogurt.
Keto Hot Chocolate
- One ounce of unsalted butter
- One tablespoon of cocoa powder
- Quarter teaspoon of vanilla extract
- One cup of boiling water
- Place all the ingredients in a blender. Mix for less than half a minute or once you see foam on top.
- Pour it into your mug and enjoy!
Quick Tip: For those who want a milk protein-free option, use coconut oil. Add whipped coconut cream for a creamier consistency.
Wrapping It Up
Hopefully, this quick and informative list of ketogenic drinks gave you an idea on what you can try out to quench your thrust and still have fun with your loved ones. So try any of these drinks out today and enjoy!
For those who have any questions or would like to share their ketogenic drinks, then do post your comments below. Contributions are much appreciated.