Despite pediatricians’ claims that the best formula for newborns is breast milk, not every mother can breastfeed her baby. So if you are faced with a choice, you need to understand: Which formula is best for your baby? And how to correctly choose the composition of the product, taking into account its availability? Let’s try to figure it out.
The best formula for newborns: does it exist?
Just as there is no universal recipe for happiness, there can be no best formula for all newborns. So you and your baby need to go the extra mile to find and choose the formula that works best for you. Do not resort to the advice of experienced mothers whose children have peculiarities, different from your baby. But the recommendations of the neonatologist and the pediatrician must be taken into consideration, as the specialists will correlate the individual needs of your baby with the choice of a suitable formula.
The adapted formula is not a natural product, as many mothers think. They are made in laboratory conditions, where dried whey, soy proteins, or milk (goat or cow’s milk) are chemically modified to closely resemble the composition of breast milk. In addition, the proteins, vitamins, minerals, and vegetable oils that your baby needs are added to modern formulas.
If you have problems with breastfeeding at the maternity hospital, a local specialist will find a brand of adapted formula for your baby. Provided the baby has no allergic reactions to it, and no problems with appetite and stools, it is advisable to continue feeding with this particular formula, and not to experiment with something better.
However, when choosing a formula for newborn, special nuances must be taken into account:
- The product should be labeled “by birth”;
- The product should be as close as possible to women’s milk in composition (adapted), or be made with goat’s milk;
- Do not forget to check the expiration date of the product;
- Try to choose a product that is always available (in the nearest supermarket, online store, or pharmacy);
- Carefully observe the condition of the child, starting to feed him a new product: no allergic reactions or everything is fine with the stool, he eats with pleasure.
Today, European formula leads the baby food market in many respects. After all, European quality standards have a rather high bar.
Many young parents argue among themselves: which formula is better than Hipp vs. There is no definite answer to this question. After all, every child is different, and what suits one may categorically not suit the other. Always try to consult your pediatrician about your choice of formula.
The organic milk at the heart of HiPP formula is sourced by the provisions of the EU Organic Law. This means that the cows are pastured on open grassland and receive only natural feed – grass, hay, and grain are grown without chemical fertilizers or pesticides. The use of GMOs, bone meal, animal growth stimulants, and prophylactic use of antibiotics on organic farms is strictly prohibited.
As for the German brand Holle from Demeter, the manufacturer deliberately does not add sugar, salt, flavorings, dyes, and preservatives to the products, so that kids get the most out of eating. ТМ Holle products are exported to 40 countries of the world and have helped to raise more than one generation of babies for almost a century.
How do you know if the formula is suitable for a newborn?
If it is, the baby will have a positive reaction to the product:
- He will not have allergic manifestations – redness and rashes on the skin, vomiting;
- The baby eats well and falls asleep peacefully after eating;
- The baby has stable stools (no constipation or diarrhea), and good gas output;
- The baby doesn’t burp very often;
- The baby’s weight gain and growth are in line with his or her age;
- At the next check-up and taking tests, pay attention to the level of hemoglobin in the blood: it must match the norm.
It is impossible to argue with the fact that the ideal food for a newly born baby is the mother’s breast milk. Nevertheless, there are a lot of mothers who are forced to switch to artificial feeding for one reason or another. In such a situation, it is very important to choose a good formula for the newborn, which will meet all the requirements.