Did you know that 1 out of every 68 children may be autistic? It’s really important to keep an eye on your child’s development because autism can be diagnosed at a very young age. If you’re a parent, then this is an article you must read and share with other parents. Here you’ll find the early signs of autism. Researches show that if autism is diagnosed early, the treatment can give a good outcome.
Here are the earliest signs of autism according to the National Institute of Mental Health:
- Doesn’t speak one word by 16 months.
- Doesn’t point, make meaningful gestures or babble by the age of 1.
- Doesn’t respond to his/her name.
- Doesn’t combine 2 words by the age of 2.
- Has poor eye contact.
- Loses social and language skills.
- Doesn’t interact joyfully or smile.
- Doesn’t know how to play with toys.
- Sometimes he/she seems to be hearing impaired.
- Seems attached to a particular toy.
Remember, some of the symptoms listed above aren’t strict signs of autism. All children are different and while some speak by the age of 1, others can hardly pronounce a word. On the other hand, having excellent language skills at a very early age can also indicate autism. Some kids that are diagnosed with autism have extraordinary reading and language skills.