Dental plaque is a sticky film of bacteria that forms on our teeth. It’s a colorless deposit at first, but then it goes brown or pale yellow. Dental plaque is also known as microbial plaque and if it is not removed can cause tooth decay, gingivitis, inflammation or gum diseases.
Plaque control and removal can be achieved with correct and regular tooth brushing. Also, there are some home remedies that can help you get rid of the build-up plaque and whiten your teeth.
The following natural paste recipe will remove plaque formation:
- 2 tbsp. of extra virgin (unrefined) coconut oil
- 2 tbsp. of baking soda
- A few drops of any essential oil such as peppermint oil
In a small bowl, mix all the ingredients until you get a homogeneous paste. Add a few drops of any essential oil (optional).
How to use the paste:
Dip your toothbrush into the paste and brush your teeth twice daily.
Here are some natural recipes that are also very effective in removing or preventing plaque if used once or twice a week:
- Mix a tsp. of salt and 2 tbsp. of baking soda, and gently brush your teeth with this homemade paste.
- Mix a tsp. of baking soda with some hydrogen peroxide, and brush your teeth and gums. Then, spit it out and rinse the mouth well.
- You can simply put a bit of baking soda on the wet toothbrush, and brush the teeth. Then, rinse the mouth with lukewarm water.