Cosmetic products are supposed to enhance our natural beauty by covering up imperfections on our face. However, could they be the culprit for constant itchy sensation you feel? Let’s find out.
Cosmetics’ Side Effects On Skin
Not all makeup products are the same. While some products even contain vitamins that nourish your skin, the low quality items can only cause more harm than good. Here are the most common side effects of makeup on your skin:
- Oily appearance
- Clogged pores and acne
Dryness is one of the main causes of itchy skin. It usually results due to environmental factors and as a consequence of using skin products that cause dryness e.g. low quality cosmetic products or skin care items that contain a high percentage of alcohol.
Moreover, if you notice irritations on your skin due to some product you use and still continue to apply it, the final result could be formation of patches and blotches on the skin. The skin becomes blotchy, itchy, scaly, and it develops dry patches.
Therefore, make sure you examine your own face, and body, closely in the mirror in order to check whether everything’s perfectly fine. If you notice skin discolorations and appearance of patches that aren’t associated with skin condition then the primary cause of blotches and itchy sensation could be cosmetics (makeup product or skin care product) you use.
In one FDA survey, about 25% of people reported a skin reaction to the cosmetics product.
Relieving Itchy Skin
If your dry itchy skin is caused by cosmetics, then the best way to relieve it is to avoid cosmetic products that contain too many ingredients. Why? It’s because these products are less likely to have high level of chemicals that would only aggravate your condition. Ideally, you should opt for makeup made of natural and herbal ingredients. These products are available everywhere, stores and online, affordable and won’t irritate your skin even more. Moreover, instead of products labeled as unscented you should opt for fragrance-free. Why? It’s because unscented products often contains fragrances that disguise odor, while fragrance-free products don’t contain fragrances at all.
Here are more tips on relieving itchy skin and, also, avoid blotches:
- Exfoliate regularly – do it once a week until your skin recovers, then you should do it two times per week
- After taking a shower or cleansing your face you should never rub the towel against your skin, instead, you should pat dry the skin
- Don’t use makeup products and skin care products that contain a high level of alcohol and parabens as they only aggravate irritations, redness etc.
- Try not to touch your face – when you touch your face, you also transmit bacteria from your fingertips onto your facial skin
- Fish and flaxseed oil are excellent for keeping your skin hydrated and protecting it from harmful effects of environment due to Omega 3 fatty acids
- Protect your skin from the sun – sun’s harmful UV rays can cause various skin disorders and aggravate itchy or blotched skin. Moreover, sun also impairs production of collagen making skin saggy and prone to wrinkles.
- If you notice redness or any other skin changes after usage of skin care or makeup product don’t use it anymore in order to prevent any further damage.
- Use quality skin care products that will protect your skin and keep it nourished – quality products make your skin healthier and stronger preventing various irritations and inflammations. For example, dry itchy skin speeds up appearance of wrinkles and by using a product made of effective ingredients, the skin is nourished, dryness is gone and appearance of wrinkles is slowed done. One of these products is ACE-ferulic serum.
What is ACE-Ferulic?
It is an advanced rejuvenating serum that promotes dermal restoration and provides a powerful defense against skin aging caused by sun exposure and other environmental factors. Main benefits of this product include:
- Antioxidants in the serum fight free radicals and protect healthy skin cells
- Eliminates multiple signs of aging e.g. wrinkles, fine lines, crow’s feet
- Lightens hyperpigmented area which makes it perfect for blotchy skin
- Improves collagen production and elasticity of the skin
- Nourishes the skin by locking in the moisture thus combating dry skin and itchiness that follows it
- Fast-absorbed formula.
The serum contains natural ingredients and is packed with vitamins including Vitamins C, B, E, ferulic acid and hyaluronic acid, effectiveness of all these ingredients in protecting and nourishing skin is well-documented.
Relieve dry and itchy skin and combat blotchiness with the serum by applying it on your face after cleansing. Distribute a small amount of serum evenly on your face, neck, and surrounding area and allow it to dry. Ideally, you should use it in the morning and before bedtime.
If itchy sensation and blotches aren’t associated with some medical condition, then the main culprit can be skin care products or makeup products you use. Change your cosmetic by using herbal and natural alternatives and relieve awkward symptoms with quality product that will restore good health of your skin.
About the Author:
Elena Shephard (@ElenaShephard) who lives in New York, Albany, USA. She is an independent researcher by profession who loves reading breaking lifestyle news, writing and hanging around with friends. In her spare time, she enjoys doing research and write certain health and beauty related articles for online websites, journals, etc. The best part of her job is generating awareness about the many remedial factors one can carry out from his/her daily life practices, with the help of her writing skills.