1. Smoking Alternatives
You probably already know that smoking is bad for your health. It’s not only highly addictive, but it’s bad news for your teeth and your lungs! If you’ve been smoking for a while, it’s not easy to quit. If you want to start your summer without your usual cloud of smoke, it might be time to consider one of these smoking alternatives. While the best option for your health is to stop smoking altogether, these are great steps towards a smoke-free lifestyle.
- Vaping – Vaping is an inexpensive and easy alternative to smoking cigarettes. By vaping instead of smoking, you avoid over 20+ chemicals traditionally found in cigarettes. Click here to read more.
- Nicotine Replacement Therapy – Nicotine replacement therapy can be done through the patch, aerosol, and inhaler, or Zyban. This gives your body a similar dose of nicotine without as many toxins as cigarettes.
2. Junk Food Alternatives
We all have a soft spot for junk food cravings. Maybe your favorite go-to food is pizza or maybe it’s your favorite brownie recipe. No matter what food is your weakness, it’s easier than you think to find healthy alternatives! Here are some tips for cutting down on your junk food cravings.
- Add a salad to your meals – One easy way to eat more greens (and stop cravings!) is to simply skip the unhealthy sides and add a salad. This is an option at most restaurants, but you can even do it at home with your meals!
- Swap ingredients – If you just can’t go another day without pizza, look for easy ways to swap your favorite ingredients for healthier ones. For pizza, opt for whole wheat crust and homemade tomato sauce. For baked goods you can also substitute sugar for natural sweeteners! You might discover you like it better than the original!
3. Coffee Alternatives
As much as we all love our morning (or all day, really) cups of coffee, this much caffeine isn’t doing wonders for our health. While coffee in moderation isn’t a problem, it’s always good to cut back from time to time, especially if you notice your body becoming dependent. Skip the calories from your sugar creamer and the high caffeine levels with one of these alternatives!
- Tea – Tea is the most obvious alternative to coffee. You can even add milk or a milk substitute to get the creamy taste you’re used to from coffee! If you’re still looking for caffeine, try black tea or green tea.
- Infused Water – For a low-calorie, sweet drink, try infused water! Just add your favorite fresh (or frozen!) fruits to your morning water for a refreshing drink!
4. Sedentary Alternatives
Have you ever spent a whole day watching Netflix without even realizing it? With so many distractions nowadays, it’s not always easy to remember to get up and stay active! If you work at a computer all day, it’s even harder to stay active during the day. The next time you catch yourself on the couch, consider some of these healthy alternatives.
- Stretch – If you don’t have time for a workout, use your spare time to stretch! Stretching gets your heart pumping and your body moving, and it’s easy to fit into a commercial break.
- Standing Desk – If you spend a lot of time at the computer, you need to be proactive about your wellness. A standing desk is beneficial to your health and it’s an easy switch that won’t get in the way of your work time!
Healthy Habits for 2018
You don’t have to completely change your lifestyle to make an impact in your health today. These easy alternatives above will help you break bad habits and start new ones just in time for summer. Whether you’re prone to eating junk food when you’re stressed or sitting all day, these small changes will go a big way in helping you achieve your health goals!